Saturday, May 30, 2015

Death Sequence

The lyrics to this song during a dark bout of depression and hopelessness. I see them them as a reflection of where I was, not where I am. I write to rid myself of these feelings that so often plague me. Feelings of worthlessness. Insecurity. Self-doubt. Insignificance. The music came to me unrelated to the lyrics, but the guitar rhythms called my mind back to this particular poem and it was done. 




Death Sequence

Cold steel barrel pressed against the temple of my mind
Struggling to find the will inside to stay alive
The broken soil, moist and cold
Begs to cover my old
Tired body in rotting flesh and devouring mold

Silken threads of braided horse hair wrapped around my throat
I have become to myself a sacrificial goat
Sudden constriction, cinched and clinching
The noose will cut my breath
No words uttered, panicked twitching, and creaking overhead

Tired of pain
Tired of failure
Living in darkness
Craving death

I am Pain
I am Failure
I am Darkness
I am Death

Sharpened edge of a dirty knife held fast against my vein
A single stroke could end it all and pacify my pain
A pulsing rhythm, spurts and spills
Blood upon the earth
A man-made river of crimson sorrow, to wash away the hurt

by Derek Herzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment