I have struggled with self-worth and self-esteem for much of my life. I've come to understand in recent years that this is not a character flaw as I have previously thought, but rather a personality trait that has driven me to overcome adversity in unique ways. I think this is why I listen to the music I do and write the music that I do, because it speaks from a dark, helpless place but forges with aggression a will to rise up and overcome. Written in three parts, Contagion outlines three internal dialogues: confrontation with myself in the mirror, first person self-narrative, & third person self-reflection with the last line being an invitation extended to others.
photo by Max Chavez
Your
ugliness is contagious
I
get sick when I see your face
You’re
a huge disappointment
Your
weak attempt at love is a disgrace
Your
shallow heart now lies blackened
Your
feeble lies destroy my dignity
Self-respect
has been shaken
You
gave to me eternal misery
Man,
this river is filthy
Disease
embedded deep in open wounds
Parasitic
infection
Courses
through my blood of quickening doom
Damn,
this air is constrictive
I
keep choking in this darkening room
Inhaling
promises broken
Gasping
for one single breath of truth
Your
fruit no longer tastes pleasing
Bitterness
infesting you like a whore
In
every bite there are maggots
You’re
rotten from your skin into your core
You
can’t stand tall when you’re broken
It
doesn’t fool me when you try to smile
I
know what lurks deep inside you
Step
inside of me and die for a while
by Derek Herzberg

No comments:
Post a Comment