Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Misfit

Self-loathing and feelings of helpless hopelessness make up the metaphorical nature of this poem.



I am a solitary palm tree seeking root in the crag of an arctic cliff
Bitter winds chaffing my hopes of growth
I am a drifting iceberg seeking solidity in the South Atlantic
Scorching rays melting my hopes of strength
I am the flames of a dying star seeking growth in the far reaches of galactic expanse
Frozen emptiness extinguishing my hopes of survival
I am a fallen raindrop seeking rest on black Texas asphalt
Fiery tar and gravel evaporating my hopes of relief
I am a lonesome highway buried in the depths of the briny deep seeking a wary traveler
Heavy marine darkness drowning my hopes of companionship
I am the last of an endangered species seeking death in a London zoo
Medicinal injections numbing my hopes of release
I am a misfit seeking my place in this world

by Derek Herzberg

1 comment:

  1. I think many of us feel this way at moments, but it must be so difficult for those who feel this way all the time. Great poem, Derek!

    ReplyDelete